Waukegan Public Library was established in 1845 with the construction of the Little Fort Reading Room and Library Association in the Lake County Courthouse. The existing modern limestone structure on Sheridan Road in downtown Waukegan, Illinois, was built in 1965. Respecting the aesthetics of the original building, we extensively remodeled and updated the 65,000 s.f. structure to create a new children’s department, audiovisual library, lecture hall, administrative offices, and the Ray Bradbury Reading Room. Interior color schemes in the Children’s Department were drawn from popular books such as Miss Spiders Tea Party by David Kirk and interactive features included a puppet theater, aquarium, and cozy reading nooks.